View Single Post
Old 09-22-2021, 08:01 PM   #21
iski123

Thanks for an awesome write up! I ended up going through the grommet under the battery. I noticed there is a fair bit of heat shielding there and wondering how hot it gets... should I be protecting my power cable in the engine compartment? If so what would be the best way to go about this?

I have a related question. My previous Ti had a head unit that could be powered on without the key in the ignition. I really liked this setup (even though I had to be especially mindful of turning OFF the unit after a drive to not kill the battery) but the sacrifice was well worth it!

I also really liked that it stayed on while I started the car so head unit didn't reset and I could avoid the delay in reconnecting to my phone. Can someone recommend the safest way to wire it for this?

My initial thought was to just connect both the red/yellow from the head unit to the same constant (yellow) wire coming from within the car. Upon further reading it sounds like this circuit isn't always rated and fused appropriately for the full draw used by the stereo system.

I figure now that I have that lower battery grommet exposed it would be relatively straightforward to run an independent wire to power the the unit direct from the battery (with an inline fuse near the battery) If going this route would it be simply disconnecting the yellow wire and re-connecting it to my direct battery wire?

One other thought, I've noticed when a vehicle is being started generally all other circuits are cut. Is there any risk of power spikes during this procedure ruining my audio system if I were to wire the head unit direct?
iski123 is offline   Reply With Quote