View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 10:16 PM   #35
mohaughn

I wouldn't have expected them to do it... That other link I posted is where somebody took the kit they bought and had it tested...

I think groundcontrol, bimmerworld, and tckline will do it for you and send the result sheets if you need them. Not sure why most people would need them...

This gives a good brief explanation of a force vs. displacement graph.

Quote:
The dyno can also be used to output a Force vs. Displacement graph (Figure 6). This graph
shows the force a shock generates as it travels through its motion in both the compression
damping and rebound damping phases. Force is shown on the vertical axis, and is measured
in lbf or N, and displacement is shown on the horizontal axis, measured in mm or inches.
Quadrant A displays the shock’s force as it is accelerated in bump, quadrant B as it is
decelerated in bump, C as it is accelerated in rebound and D as it is decelerated in rebound.
This plot can be used to troubleshoot a shock you are having issues with, or to ensure
hysteresis levels are at an acceptable level. Hysteresis occurs when the damping forces are
higher as the damper is decelerating compared to when it is accelerating, and will decrease
the effectiveness of the shock. This effect can be seen in Figure 7, where the damping forces
in quadrant B are higher than in quadrant A. Hysteresis is the primary reason that a shock
should be valved to be used in the middle of its adjustment range, as hysteresis is significant
when you use the stiffest adjustment settings.
So that DDM chart shows that hysteresis is occurring, the values in quadrant A are higher than the readings in quadrant B, so you probably shouldn't run those at full stiff. Of course, it doesn't really give any idea of how much the effectiveness of the shock is diminished. TcKline specifically says that you should never run their shocks at full stiff.

http://www.nttyres.com/downloads/gui...yno_graphs.pdf

Again, my amateur reading of that graph.
mohaughn is offline   Reply With Quote