View Single Post
Old 07-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #8
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1602 View Post
The Z3 has an automatic so I am pretty sure (but not positive) it does not have the LSD. I am also pretty sure that the steering rack from the Z3's that are of a quicker ratio were the ones from the 4 cylinders only. Again this is only from memory (which is starting to become a little more hit & miss at times). The other negative for this Z3 is price. The guy wants $2800 for it. It was wrecked, has a salvage title, is drivable but needs a lot of for to make it road worthy again (not worth it). So I would only be using it for parts. On the other hand, there is also a '97 e36 4 door 5 speed for sale near me (328i) that is in pretty good shape, definitely road worthy and would be a great daily driver for around $2500 and has all the parts I will need for a swap (just not sure if I would want to tear it up as a donor car). But thanks for the info, it has been a great help!
I have been pleasantly surprised (or lucky) that most of the Z3s I have seen parted out have had LSD diffs. My current 3.46LSD came from a 3.0 auto z3. The quicker steering racks are from all z3s (except z3m) not just the 1.9L m44 ones, my own rack was sourced from a 2.8L z3 (At least all z3 before 1999 - I would need to check real OEM to see if there was a part change with the facelift and use of m52tu/m54 engines). Ironically the z3m used the slower e36 steering rack, so if you get offered a z3 rack from a z3m don't do it!

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote