View Single Post
Old 01-28-2017, 07:48 AM   #25
anassa

Vehicles

Update on Concept #3:

So hopefully this is the final change.

Basically I will let the build go its way. I have parts lying around that I will slap on. What was mentioned in the first post on the concept and idea of the build will be primary to build/look of the car.

Complications!! #2

- The car is guzzling oil!!! It has been roughly 1k miles since the swap and I have already refilled a good three quarts of oil into the m52. I really need to find out what is eating all that oil. I am using Mobile 1 0-40 full synthetic and the block has unknown miles on it, so I might try heavier oil and see if that helps.

Fixed!

- Picked up a oem 189k m3 exhaust midsection. The midsection from the 328 donor car didn't have cats and the gas fumes was horrible. It also has the popping sound on deceleration with lower RPM's. That is most likely the muffler so that needs some work too.

- Replaced the ugly purple, not really functioning m3 cluster with a cluster that had 189k (same donor m3 as the midsection above). What a difference! Also at the time of the swap I had ~179k miles so its give or take a few hundred off 10k difference. The CEL works, cluster is regular orange backlight, rpm/speedo, gas gauge is accurate. It makes a huge difference.

Speed!

As I have no dyno handy to see how much power or idea of how to compare to other cars, I decided to run next to my roomates 2013 Focus ST and see how it compares.

Focus ST: Cobb rear motor mount, Cobb CAI, Ford Racing exhaust, full tank of gas.

Weight~ 3240lbs
Driver ~ 150lbs
Passenger ~ 140lbs
Stock crank HP ~ 253hp

318ti: m52 swap, s52 cams, 3.46lsd, DME tuned for s52 cams and m50 intake manifold (BUT NOT INSTALLED, stock m52 manifold installed)195/60/15 tires with good thread, complete interior, stock seats, AC/PS everything is there, half tank of gas. Stock intake box, stock exhaust except for oem m3 midsection, random gutted muffler.

Weight ~ 2850lbs
Driver ~ 215lbs
Stock crank HP ~ ???

To my surprise we were very close on 40mph roll on 20mph roll he didn't have traction (older tires). He didn't pull from me and we where basically equal. So doing some very simple and guesstimated math to figure my very rough HP,

Focus ST ~ 3,530lbs/~260hp = 13.57weight/hp ratio.

If I assume I had similar weight/hp ratio I can take my weight:

3065lbs/13.57 = ~ 225hp.

225 crank hp seems roughly what can be expected from the m52 with s52 cams so i can't complain!

***There are MANY variables that basically what I said above moot, but its fun to speculate.

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote