View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
JP422

Default DASC Pulley locating washer

Ok, I decided to start a new thread on this...

After discussing with John the topic of the "floating" pulley on the DASC, I consulted with Jim Goodroe, who mentioned the shaft and pulley have a slight taper. Anyway, besides that and a tight press fit, there isn't much to keep the pulley located. There is a woodruff key, but that's just for rotational lock. My pondering question is if this floating (pressed on) pulley is ok. I mean, as long as there's not wobble...right? The serp belt should place no side load, so there should be no reason for the pulley to slide front or back (well, front will be stopped by the nut).

I pulled the SC and the pulley off last night, and inspected the marks on the shaft and pulley. It looks like it's been just press fit and fine for yrs. It appears this is the way it was designed, with no washers or backing to bottom it out and really lock the pulley's position.

Now, just in case I can come across any washers close to what I need, I took some measurements. If I really wanted to "lock down" the pulley, then I'll need the following washer specs:

-Thickness: 0.215" or 5.5mm
-Min Inner diam: 0.645" or 16.5mm (17mm)
-Max Outer diam: 1.25" or 31.75mm

If I can find a washer close to this, then I can work it to get it into specs.
The woodruff key will also have to be removed to install this spacer.

Anyway... that's where I'm at.
JP422 is offline   Reply With Quote