View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #18
mr-canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWannabe View Post
Interesting ......Did a little research and came up with this ...Rare indeed ...only 656 1999 318ti's made it to the USA

https://oppositelock.kinja.com/1999-...iew-1692222252
I am lucky enough to have one of them. The 99 had a slightly more bored out engine (1.9L vs. 1.8L) and came with the M-Sport kit incl triptronic autoshifter for performance mode.

Thing grips the road like an addias shoe. It has a bit of a phantom mode, I call it grandma mode, where it drives just like a POS stock Civic. But when you punch it hard, it lights up and growls like a monster. Torque band really kicks in at 3500-4000RPM, M-Sport mode lets the engine rev higher than in standard automatic.

Hard as hell to find used parts for this year. AllBMWParts.com seems to be able to find anything and everything albeit not at the best price, but beats marching around one Euro pick-a-part after another hoping to find the correct part.

Also worthy of noting: The 99 has a different dimmer switch. Mine failed. It's a complete pain in the neck finding a replacement one. The older versions had one under the left side of the steering wheel, seperate from the headlight switch. In the 99 it's integrated into one switch up the dash. At this age, the rheostat can fail due to moisture or corrosion. Price I got for a replaement was 75 bucks - only 25 bucks less than both drivers' side windows. Owning a car this rare (the 99, anyway) is expensive but it's definitely worth the extra punch and M-sport kit with steering wheel.
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote