Thread: curious FI
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 12:57 PM   #5
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

I couldn't really follow your post, but I think you are saying you tried forcing hot air (from behind the radiator) into the airbox, or into the intake after the MAF. All air going to the engine NEEDS to pass the MAF, if you bypass it you will cause problems, bad problems.

Don't mess with the air near the radiator, that air is VERY hot and will cause major performance loses, even if you find a way to pressurize it. You want COLD AIR going into the engine. Cold air is denser, meaning there is more oxygen in cold air versus hot air.

Keep in mind that BMW spent a lot of R&D time and money to design the intake system. What they ended up with was a compromise that balanced performance with reliability. If you kind a way to increase performance, you will likely be sacrificing reliability. Cold Air Intakes have been shown time and time again to provide very little gains, some additional noise and danger of hydrolock.

My recommendation is to leave it alone. It's difficult to make the 318ti fast without spending a lot of money, you should concentrate on making it handle better instead, or get a DASC.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote