View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 01:00 AM   #63
jm318ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Squeelerz View Post
You're making it harder for yourself than it needs to be by being intimidated.

It really is a simple job...meaning, It doesn't take a dummy to remove a few bolts and connectors. Just label your wires and put bolts back in their location after you removed the item, that way you don't lose your hardware or forget where it goes. Best thing about this, you learn something, and get to know your car better. You might find other things that need replacing in the process, so do evaluate everything as you go.

Taking off the upper and lower intake - be sure you have your battery disconnected before you start removing things. Also, you will want to relieve the fuel pressure before taking off the fuel rail (which is a simple procedure). You will get to see how dirty your injectors are, as CirrusSR22 showed by example.

The connector is recessed and held in tightly with an o-ring. Just wiggle it away from the block in a teeter totter fashion gradually. It should just pop out ,not much to it. It could just break, so you should use care when removing this, as there could be pieces of the fitting potentially falling inside your engine if the fitting breaks up.

Having everything off will honestly make things a lot easier.

Seriously, go for it! Take your time, because if you rush, you'll make dumb mistakes.
Mr squeelerz-
I think I'll try next year when the weather warms up. I park on the street and in NYC we have to move street cleaning 4 days a week so I would have to be finished really quick. Not ideal condition to learn. I needed a quick fix.

Here's what I did so far. I abandoned removing the connector for now and just want to repair it. I turned (on the lathe) a piece that friction fits into the broken part. I got a new connector and used that to measure the diameter my turned part. I was able to put that into the broken connector and reattach the hose. Some of the hose overlaps the existing part as well. I plan to use a clamp to attach the very end of the hose to the existing connector and use another clamp to attach to the new piece that I turned.
I wasn't able to tighten the bands yet- need to get a other socket extension.

I don't plan to drive this car very far-just around the block or maybe a few blocks.

How much pressure builds up in the coolant lines? If for some reason I cant get the clamps tightened will they just blow off?

Also I circled a part in CirrusSR22's car- I don't have that thing in my car. What its it?

Thanks--
joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1110389.jpg (75.1 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by jm318ti; 11-22-2010 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Added Photo
jm318ti is offline   Reply With Quote