View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008, 02:05 PM   #7
L84THSKY

I called my local dealer. They type in my VIN, and say there is no recall on my vehicle. They must have a recall notice on each specific VIN. Even though my car is exhibiting the exact symptoms of the recall, they say unless BMW flagged my car for the recall, they can't replace it for free. Total bull****. They could have very well screwed up, when estimating which cars were affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002mcs View Post
The dealer confirmed that my 98 was covered after I showed him a letter discussing the service bulletin on the issue that was sent to all effected ti's in 2002. This letter can be found on 318ti.org. Although it wasn't specific to my car, my VIN # was within a hundred of the VIN on the car addressed in the letter. I was also surprised at their willingness to accept a cat that was not original to the car and not even on the car. In fact, he volunteered to see if a previous cat that they replaced was still on the scrap heap.

I suspect that he recognized that the previous owner was unaware of the service bulletin and replaced the cat somewhere between the end of the 40k original warranty and the 56k when I acquired the car. So, in theory I am due a cat. I did initially call BMW customer service and they blew me off because of the aftermarker cat.

1998 (July) 318ti, 5-spd
OEM Armrest • Blaupunkt Heidelberg CD50 CD Player/Compact Drive MP3 Player • Diamond Audio 5.25" rear speakers • Navman ICN 530 GPS • BMWALARM.COM (with comfort settings) after market alarm system • Magnecor 8.5mm wires • M-Z3 Shifter/Momo Knob • Burlwood Dashboard • Stromung Exhaust • X-brace • Racing Dynamics Front Strut Bar • Carbonio C.A.I. • 17" Rial Rims • Vader Seats/Heated/Lumbar Support • M-tech Steering Wheel/Front Sway Bar/Front & Rear Bumper • Depos/w 6500K Angel Eyes/6000K HIDs • Clear Corners • M3 Mirrors • UUC Light Weight Flywheel/M5 Clutch/M3 Clutch Slave • E28 3.46 LSD/Mcoupe Cover/E30 Flanges & Halfshafts • UUC S.S. Brake/Clutch Lines • Hartge Roof Spoiler • BavAuto Springs• Bilstein Sport Struts/Shocks • E46 M3 Rear Shock Mounts • SPC Front Camber Kit • Reiger Hatch Spoiler • BavAuto Rear Camber Kit • Dinan Stage II Software • Turner Rear Sway Bar Reinforcements • BMW E46 Auto dimming mirror with Clown Nose alarm • Engine Compartment Light • Heated Wiper Fluid Retrofit • OEM Fire Extinguisher • Da'lan Trailer Hitch • Rear Sun Shade • OEM Fog Light Retrofit • H & R MZ3 Rear Sway Bar/ UUC Adjustable End Links • Cruise Control Retrofit • On Board Computer Retrofit • M3 twistie style side skirts • Carbon Fiber Hood