View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
JP422

Default dual mass to single mass clutch help

Ok, I'm a bit stumped, and would like to figure this out before I pull the tranny again.

I have a 1.9 Z3 and I pulled the old dual mass clutch assembly in favor of a Fidanza M3 ltw flywheel, an M6 sprung disk, and an M3 pressure plate. While the pieces were out, I checked clearances and it appeared that the clutch disk had to be flipped backward ("gear box side" toward the engine) for clearance of the disk's fatter sprung hub. The ltw flywheel was machined to clear the thicker hub too (flipped backward)... and if the disk is placed the right way, then it will hit the inside of the pressure plate (made for solid disk).

Everything bolted together perfectly with the disk flipped backward, but when I started the engine, and pressed the clutch, I could hear something hitting. I think it's the flywheel bolts tapping the clutch disk.

My questions:

-Does anyone has a similar setup and what they did.
-Do I need a pressure plate made for a sprung hub?
-Should I look for lower profile flywheel bolts or can I shave the bolt's heads a little?

I'm going nuts because after all this work, I'm SOOO close to finally driving my roadster again... and this is the last hurdle!

Please help me get the car back on the road!

Thanks!~
-Joe.
JP422 is offline   Reply With Quote