View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 04:50 AM   #9
Strawman

Picked the car up on Friday, and drove it home with open catalytic converter pipes. Kinda loud -- especially on decelleration. Had a dual-in/single out Magnaflow stainless steel muffler installed by Mike at American Muffler today. I cut off the 328i muffler where the pipes entered the muffler can, and Mike used the leftover cat-back pipes that fit neatly under the rear suspension cross-member, he added a short section to connect the dual-inlets of the muffler, and then welded in a short plain-jane single outlet that exits where the stock 318ti muffler exits the rear valence. Cost me $350 out the door, but it was in at 8AM and done by 3Pm today. Total sleeper look, but it pulls like a freight train! I'd say its on par with my '99 M Roadster. I drool thinking about how the S52 would feel in a Compact chassis!

The engine idles great and runs cool, although I still need to service the hybrid 328i AC compressor and 318ti condensor, etc. to see if that causes any high temp issues. Probably not a big issue here on the CA Central Coast, but I wanna make sure the car won't overheat if I head east/north into hot country. While idling for a long time this weekend, the factory front-mounted auxiliary fan kicked on like intended. I'm really hoping I can abandon the factory M52 mechanical fan system.

Still need to finish up the interior (install glove box, driver side underdash, shift boot and shifter knob). I am also still waiting for a passenger-side door handle clip from Coast BMW, so the passenger side door panel is still off for now. I also need to pull the ABS and transmission lights from the 328i dash, and mount the 328i exhaust flapper module and fuel tank pressure module. Finally, I need to re-align the steering wheel after installing the leather-wrapped wheel from the 328i. The mechanics at my work (I manage the regional bus system) gave it the thumbs-up this afternoon -- and that says a lot when the union guys endorse work by a white-collar guy!
Strawman is offline   Reply With Quote