View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014, 03:35 AM   #6
nickylemns

Hi guys. Its has been a few months since I last posted. I test-drove the car for the first time today, so I thought I would give a bit of an update.

So we got the 5 speed swapped into the car, I am not sure what model it came out of, but I assume its a stock 5spd out of a base e36 or 318...
WP_20140909_004 by nickylemns1, on Flickr

The car shifts really nice up and down through the gears. I only had it out for a little bit on some backroads near my house and I have to say, I am really excited to start getting some track time in this car. Even with the clapped out suspension currently on the car, the 4cyl is really a little screamer, and with some freed up weight, I can tell its going to be a ball. We also picked up some cheap-o bucket seats, and threw them in. Nothing special for now, but they have tight bolsters and will do the job. Definitely better than stock from a weight and comfort perspective.
WP_20140909_007 by nickylemns1, on Flickr

The old exhaust was rotted so we replaced that with pretty much stock, except without the cat. Essentially straight piped from the header to the muffler. Sounds nice and raspy, pretty much to be expected...
WP_20140909_002 by nickylemns1, on Flickr
WP_20140909_001 by nickylemns1, on Flickr

Initially we were going to leave the suspension alone until me and the son have some laps under our belts, but the shocks were just way too shot. It literally handled like an old Cadillac, sharing no resemblance to any sort of enthusiast car. That being said we bought new Bilstein sports for the car and are pairing those up with some off-brand lowering springs off ebay. I havent looked into the urethane bushings yet, but if you guys have any suggestions, let me know. I guess e30 ones will work? I am not planning on changing the swaybars as of yet so I guess I would just size those ones accordingly and the rest could be from a standard e30 kit? anyway it would probably be a good idea to get those before we put the suspension on this week.
WP_20140909_003 by nickylemns1, on Flickr

We put some new Toyo R1r's on the stock 17s, so now we have some fresh rubber underneath the car. Once we get the final seating positions mounted up in the car, we are going to strip out as much of the interior as we can, maybe going as far as the heater and AC, but I am not entirely sure. After thats done, we are going to run it.

Anyways, thanks for your feedback guys. We are planning on taking it to Sears Point in a couple weeks so stay tuned for some better (non cell phone) Pics, and some video just for fun. As we dial it in a bit we will continue do some cool stuff so keep the suggestions coming. Thanks again!
nickylemns is offline   Reply With Quote