View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 12:11 AM   #3
brandnew07z

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolferj View Post
There are many threads on what you need for the swap... However, some things aren't mentioned here...

What year is your Ti? Hopefully 96 or later. Trying to put an OBDII motor in a 95 ti which is OBDI will present far more challenges..

Your existing trans will bolt up, no problem. There are 2 mounting places for your trans rear crossmember, you may have to shift it to the rear position, however. The driveshaft should compress enough at the center bearing to compensate, mine did, your results may vary...

Swap the front suspension from the Sedan into your ti, it's all easily interchangeable..

Also inspect the rear main seal for the engine for leakage when it's out. Your gasket list is good, but also check the valve cover gasket.

You should use the cooling system from the sedan (Radiator/fan, etc), and will need the right radiator mount.

I swapped over the AC into mine as well, and you will need a couple of the hoses if you plan to do this as well.

The Automatic engine harness will be fine, but it will have a connection for the trans DME that you won't use. If you can find a harness from a manual, it will be better, but not necessary.

Also, the EWS, DME and key will all be needed, or you can get the EWS deleted by a dealer or the member Midnight Tuning here on the .org.

If you search BluBimma's posts here and on bimmerforums.com, he has posted lots of information on swaps.

Good Luck!

Awesome I really appreciate the input. I'm buying a lot of parts today so I just want to make sure everything is good.

Why do you say having an manual engine harness is better? What is different with the harness besides the automatic transmission.

My TI is a 97 so both are OBD-II. In regards to the EWS issue. Will the car even start once the swap is complete or do I have to tow the car to a BMW dealer to have them work on it?

Thanks for the help.
brandnew07z is offline   Reply With Quote