View Single Post
Old 08-06-2012, 10:03 PM   #40
J!m

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljess76 View Post
Ok, that VIN is definitely an M coupe or roadster so yes, we're correct in it being an S52. However, the guy is still full of crap because ANY E36 ENGINE WILL BOLT UP TO ANY E36 TRANSMISSION. Furthermore, that's BS because plenty of M3's came with automatic transmissions. Not sure about Z3 M coupes and M roadsters, but it's the same engine that the M3's came with. If you want to keep your car automatic, you can use your old tranny, torque converter and flywheel. That's what I meant about non-BMW enthusiasts not knowing what they're talking about and making stuff up. You see it a lot on ebay, sellers telling people that certain parts are compatible and such.
Actually, you can't use the old tranny with this engine.

Yes it bolts up.
Yes it will probably hold the power.

But, you need the DME and EGS together as they communicate with each other as well as the car.

So, in this case, I suggest an M3 auto, DME, EGS and wiring harness if you go automatic. I more strongly suggest you swap the car to manual. It's cheaper and easier since your donor engine is from a manual, but being a Z3 donor rather than an M3 donor, you will have other compatibility issues because of how the hardware architecture is laid out in the two cars a bit differently. I am using an M roadster engine/DME/harness and had to make some changes...

Order Swap Manuals Here => http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12912

WolferJ- gone but not forgotten. R.I.P.
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote