View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 02:12 AM   #36
joe1602

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget M3 View Post
I love this! Wish I could be in NY for the main event this summer. I voted for Dad, but only 'cause I am closer to his age than teen ti's .

Assuming one drives ~1500 miles per month and gets 25mpg, your wager is 60 gallons of dinosaur juice. At ~$4/gal, the wager is ~$240. Let's call it $250 to account for the estimation factor.

More so than wheel size, my experience is that the right tires on a lighter car make the biggest difference for an autoX. So, Joe... I think you need to slap $600 worth of 225/50-16 competition rubber on the stock 16-inch wheels that came with your son's ti. Inflate them to ~45lbs at each corner to increase the stickiness, dial out any understeer and keep the bottom of the tire in contact with the pavement. You will drive circles around him!

teen ti will then subsidize your outlay by buying one month's worth of gas for you. You will be out $350 for the win, but you will corral eternal bragging rights to being the better driver. Isn't that worth $350? When it is all over, you might even be able to sell him the new sticky autoX wheel/tire setup for $350! $350 for a set that has only been used for one autoX is a deal! I'm sure there are many autoX'ers here that will buy them from you if he doesn't. Bwahahahahah! Age and experience, indeed! [Joe--Hope I did not just give away your strategy!]
haha not quite my strategy, I highly doubt Matteo would let me change anything on the car without his approval, especially with the bet. And I've got a feeling that if he allowed me to put on some new sticky tires he'd make a caveat where they stayed on the car and technically belonged to him. But he told me that on race day I am allowed to modify the car to whatever spec I desire. However, that only gives me a few hours to work on the car and I'm probably going to have to spend a lot of that time making sure he hasn't sabotaged me in any way. Thats the problem with Matteo, he's probably one of the best in terms of sportsmanship when it comes to others but I know what he's capable of if he feels like screwing with me and as his father he gets a kick out of such things. Either way that gives me a maximum of I'd say 1 hour of time to prep the car at home and maybe another hour at the track. Frankly I'm not too worried about it and am feeling fairly confident about my chances. It should be a fun day matter the outcome though.

Last edited by joe1602; 04-15-2012 at 02:16 AM.
joe1602 is offline   Reply With Quote