View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
318tiGuam

i know this thread is old but i think i might be having the same problem and i hope someone can give me some suggestions on how to fix it. i have a 97 318ti auto with 78k miles on it. the car runs fine when the engine is warmed up. but, usually in the morning or when i first start the car after it has cooled down for hours it makes this weird growling noise but after a minute or so after i started it the noise goes away. what might be causing this noise? another problem is i kinda need to warm the car up first because if i dont it feels like the car has a hard time shifting to 2nd and 3rd gear. it sounds like its just reving but not shifting. but again once the car has warmed up everything seems fine? and how fast should i be going for the car to shift to 4th gear? around 40-50mph should i still be crusing in 3rd gear? its just that the car sounds like its strugling after 45mph and im not too sure at what speed is the car supposed to shift to 4th. im not too sure if its the fluid because theres no sign of any leak. but im just gona replace the atf (Napa atf dexron 3 ok?) and see if it gets better. but if it doesnt what do u think is the problem? i hope to read some suggestions. thanks .
318tiGuam is offline   Reply With Quote