View Single Post
Old 06-05-2006, 03:41 AM   #7
mrnine

Default Clicking noise in rear end...cv joint? diff? wheel bearing?

Had some strange noises on my way home tonight after several hours of driving. Sound started after a couple hours of 75mph driving on the WV turnpike.

First noise sounded like a clunk from right rear (or maybe center) as if I had hit something in the road, though I didn't feel anything. Over the next 10 minutes several more random clunk/bangs like this. Looked underneath; everything looks perfect. CV boots intact, etc.

Limp toward home slowing my average to 55mph with several stops to confirm that things still look intact. Seems OK. Then the sound becomes more rhythmic clicking, much more consistent with a cv joint. The thing is, it's completely random and comes and goes. I drove for maybe 15 miles with no sound, then clicking came on immediately and loud. Then soft clicking for the next 15 miles 'til I got home.

It doesn't seem to me to vary in any way with acceleration or deceleration. I'm about to go out for a spin right now to try to get a better feel for it.

I'm starting to think diff. First major mechanical sounds from this car ever. Mileage is at just short of 130k. I changed diff fluid at around 100k so admittedly I was due if not overdue. Is next best step to drain the fluid and look for metal or does anyone have any other ideas?
mrnine is offline   Reply With Quote