View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 05:38 PM   #47
spidertri

Vehicles

Been a while since I updated.

So the suspension and brake upgrades went pretty smoothly until I got a little careless with the dremel when trimming the rear brake backing plates. I ended up nicking the passenger brake hard line and while it didn't cause a leak it certainly introduced a spot of weakness. The last thing I wanted was to be on track and lose brake pressure due to a rupture at that location.

Luckily, NAPA sells lengths of european brake line that work and are coated like the OE lines. I did also order a couple of OE lines because the length of those was slightly different than the NAPA line.

Since this was my first time bending brake lines I used the NAPA stuff to practice and make sure I didn't screw up with the OE stuff. One thing to make sure of if you do this yourself is to get a good pair of brake line pliers. I looked through all the pairs available at the local stores and only one had jaws that lined up correctly. Even then, I ran a file through the jaws to clean up some small burrs before I used them on the lines.

Pics below, used the old line as a guide and kept holding it up to the trailing arm to make sure it would route through the clips. When working with the pre-flared lines it's critical to keep the bends correct because there is not much slack left by the time to get from one end to the other.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote