View Single Post
Old 02-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #51
Colorado318ti

Default Fuel Economy

Ok, I am fairly new to the forum within the last couple months and would first and foremost like to thank the members that make this such a great website and wealth of invaluable information. I wanted to share my surprising fuel economy numbers... I am elated and confused at the same time...

I have only owed this car for about 3 1/2 months and have put about 4-5K miles on the car. I have the OBC and have also been tracking my mileage via GPS and calucalting my mileage manually and my OBC seems to be very accurate within about a 1/2 MGP or less. Anyways on to the good news, I am consistently* getting 38 MPG or better. The first time I tested this I filled up, reset the OBC for the first time and headed from Colorado Springs CO to Breckenridge Ski lot. Got 38.1 MPG round trip including city driving through COS both ways. Ok, so this is nice. The last tank I read up on Hypermiling and am currently getting 40.1 MPG in the city!!! WTH??? I routinely get 450+ miles per tank before the light comes on. This is a mix of city and HWY. For the record, when I got the car, the OBC showed 31MPG...I drove it like it was stolen for the first week for so and it was all the way down to 28MPG before first reset. I have done the following - cleaned the K&N air filter, changed the spark plugs to the NGK 4 prong ones, SeaFoamed through the vac line, Added a can of BG 44k to the gas tank and changed oil to Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic. I Run 93 Octane E10 from Diamond Shamrock. BTW Elevation here is 6500 ft and in the mountains is 10K plus feet on some passes. I heard that we lose power, but gain fuel economy here, so maybe this is true.

My question is this... Can anyone here please tell me why I appear to be getting 20-30% better than most have reported here? Is there a hamster in my car or something? I can probably post a video or something showing my gps mileage, car mileage and OBC for verification since I understand if some doubt this. I too was doubtful at first.
Colorado318ti is offline   Reply With Quote