View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 08:37 AM   #54
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpeedracer View Post
I'm very interested in this swap. Please elaborate.

What freeway, speed, rpm gears.
What MPG do you see with 3.45 open vs 2.93 LSD?
Did you make any other changes to rim or tire?

I just pulled 34+ mpg
highway drive 75mph at 3500 rpm
5 speed
195/65 15 tires
Style 6 Rims
380K miles on original drivetrain

Sorry for the late response. The MPG difference was not that big and I think driving habits make more of a difference then the 2.93 diff would, the problem with the 2.93 diff was that acceleration was poor and took longer so you where in a way pressing the gas pedal longer in order to get up to speed, and pressing it further down, so even with lower rpms it didn't have the low end torque to make it a pleasant experience. You also have to take into account the extra weight the e30 diff.

Also I did go from the relatively light stock active wheels to heavier 16" z3 wheels.

With stock tranny and 225/55/16 tires with the 2.93 diff I was going 3k at 70. It was nice to cruse at those lower rpms but trying to pass anyone was harder and just not my cup of tea. But I can imagine with lighter wheels and patience you may be able to squeeze a mpg or two out with it.

What I do find interesting is this article about the e46 330ci mpg experience.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=926447

From the looks of it the m54b30 swapped in a ti with a 2.93 rear should be able to make 30mpg+ on the freeway and with it being aluminum block it would be better balanced and weigh less then the regular m52/s52 swap and have plenty of low end torque so the 2.93 won't be a problem and on the fun side in a ti the m54b30 should be able to keep up with a stock e36 m3. Future swap??? Possibly

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

Last edited by anassa; 02-05-2014 at 08:39 AM.
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote