View Single Post
Old 12-29-2005, 03:45 PM   #2
DustenT
doesn't care about you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmedics911
Greetings fellow 318ti owners,

I had a question about automatic shifting. I noticed that when I gun or hit the pedal pretty hard to get a good start, my rpms go all the way up to redline before i have to pull my foot off the pedal to have the 318ti shift to the next gear.

This seems to only happen in 2nd gear i believe. I can gun the car while on the freeway and it has no problem shifting to a lower gear for speed then diverting back to the next gear up.

This only happens when i'm at a stop light and i start off then gun the pedal. I'm not a red liner and i don't want to blow my engine (heck, im still new here!)

I used some fuel injector cleaner so i wanted to really get the car moving (to sprout the fuel injector, not to race).

I wondered why this happens since I just had the service level II recently done by a non bmw dealership.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.
This sounds normal. When I still had the auto tranny I could hold each gear until red line, sometimes hitting the rev limiter before it would shift.

This is the first car that has ever done that. I'm sure it's on purpose because you need the full range of engine rpms for max power.

'99 Dinan M3
DustenT is offline   Reply With Quote