View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 01:05 PM   #10
aceyx

There's no way to actually club "hop" in Vegas. They tend to queue you up outside the club for a good hour or so, so just stay at once place unless you really like waiting in lines.

Palms is good for the younger crowd but it's off-strip. Not really a big deal since cabs in Vegas are pretty much like pigeons in New York, but you really have to see the strip at night. It's just Americana. Studio54 (MGM), Ra (Luxor) are also notable, and on the southern end. I can only suggest these hotels by experience (and the Mandalay), but make sure they're not under construction when you visit. Stay away from Excalibur, Circus Circus and Paris, unless you like screaming bratty kids all the time. Next time I'm going to try the Wynn.

My advice is to make reservations at a restaurant before you get there and make that your first or second order of business. Vegas restaurants are generally owned/run by top chefs and all the food is excellent. If you get there earlier in the day, do the exhibits Hugo mentioned (note, TI has totally changed). The reef at the Mandalay is neat ($$) but the penguins at the Flamingo are free to watch.

Then, do a bit of gambling. You're in Vegas; you gotta. A hand of blackjack and some slots will do. Get some beer from the convenience shop and head back to the room to decompress/change (note: hard liquor is crazy expensive . If that's your poison, bring it from Cali).

Around 10:30/11, get in line for a club. Pay for drinks with cash, since open tabs are just annoying to deal with. Sometime before 3am, get a cab to a strip joint and stay however long your wallet allows. Spearmint Rhino, Cheetahs and Sapphire, in that order. You can easily run through $100/hr in any of these places, more if you're paying for your girl's dances.

In the morning, get the breakfast buffet at the Bellagio. There is also a breakfast joint further up the strip, but I'll have to ask around for the name of the place. Check out through the tv, then head to the pool before your room card stops working. Sleep off your hangover, relax a bit, then hit the road.

If you're just grabbing a quick bite, I suggest both Fatburger and In-n-Out. But you should already have had both while in Cali.