View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #10
JdevTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorekirby View Post
are thier ANY 6 speed that are know to be compatible with the m42/m44 motors? i've been seaching for a couple days and can't find much info.

~john
There is actually a TON of scattered information across the web, this forum, bimmer forums and a couple commercial web sites. There isn't anything that comprehensively puts together every option possible with all the different parts that would be required, but there are a lot of options and nuances to it, so it would be a tall order to create something that covered every bit.

What I learned yesterday is there are 6 6-speed transmissions that will mount to our engines. They guy at UUC I talked to didn't mention more than 2 as worth considering due to the amount of customization of parts required to make them all work, and after that he feels the e46 M3 is the best mount up for the e36, not making a distinction between our 4 cylinder hatches and the rest of the e36's. That was a question I had was is the 318ti unique in any way in choosing a transmission and setup, and it sounds like it's not. Like I mentioned above the driveline has to be custom made anyway, so it's the same amount of work/customization as the other e36's.

However and the UUC website doesn't seem to agree, but over the phone I have in my notes that the the flywheel and shifting mechanism for the e36 M3 will work. If you have those items or can source them cheaply, you just have to let them know so they can mate you up with the correct clutch components, he said for the same price as the e46 components. So that could save some money if finding the e36 M3 flywheel somehow is cheaper. Call UUC to double verify before dropping the money, but this is how I understand it.

Also, interesting to note is that their light flywheel and clutch setup run 1100. I asked him about trans gear chatter not being a dual mass flywheel, and he said if you run their recommended fluid and clutch system, you won't have any chatter. So that's another viable flywheel option. I kind of like this option from a performance driving perspective, but I'll probably just go with what is cost effective at the time.
JdevTi is offline   Reply With Quote