View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
StealthBimmer

Exhaust

When I did the 5-speed, I took a Sawzall to the old exhaust, and replaced it with a brand spanking new Ansa center resonator and muffler.

Cooling System

The radiator is a little funky; it looks like the filler neck has been re-soldered. The car is totally driveable the way it is (it does not run hot), but if I were going to depend on it daily, I’d do the standard 2002 R&R and replace the radiator, thermostat, and water pump.

Suspension and Steering

I recently installed a set of Suspension Techniques front and rear sway bars which give the car great “yeeeeeeHA” potential around entrance ramps. Other than the new sway bars, none of the front end components appear to have been recently replaced, but nothing jumps out at me in terms of needed steering or suspension work. Crawling beneath the back of the car, you can see a set of Bilstein rear shocks. I do not know what struts are in front but they feel matched to the rears so I suspect that they too are Bilsteins. All four shocks work fine, and pass the “bounce test.”

Rattles

The issue with any old car is whether it drives like a rattlebucket not only when you go over railroad tracks, but during driving over normal surfaces. I’ve done a lot to quiet down this car. Both door stops had broken off and the broken pieces were down inside the door clanking around. They’ve been fixed. The passenger door weatherstripping and door sill rubber were missing so the door banged. They’ve been replaced. The corners of the bumpers were not properly secured to the fenders and quarter panels. They are now. The trunk has been properly adjusted. A snotty little rattle coming from one of the lenses in the instrument cluster has been squelched. There’s no mistaking it for a new car, but it’s pretty good.

General Driving Impressions

The car is just a blast. It starts right up, idles well, has plenty of pull. With the Bridgestone Potenzas and the sway bars, you can really throw it around entrance ramps. The sway bars are dialed in to handle pretty neutrally so it doesn’t swap ends on you. The 5-speed is a dream, lowering revs so that instead of going 70 at 4000 rpm you’re going about 80. It really is a must for any 2002 used for highway driving.

Particularly since 2002s have nearly vanished from the Northeast, many, many people notice and comment on this car. I stopped at a yard sale last weekend and a 60 year old woman said “oh, that was always my favorite car!” I’ve given a very unvarnished description of the exterior in terms of imperfect paint and trim, but the car is really quite pretty, and people certainly notice it. Don’t buy it if you don’t want a conversation piece.

I've been watching rust-free roundie tiis on ebay for a year. As I said way back at the top, I'd like to get $8500 for the car. I thought I'd try it locally before subjecting myself to the vagraties of eBay. I think that's about what it'll go for, with the solid body, intact fuel injection, handsome interior, new shiny paint, and 5-speed. Feel free to call, but be realistic.