View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 12:22 AM   #14
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

This thread clearly explains the factors involved here. M Coupe wheels simply won't fit. A fender roller cost about 250 bucks. If you could find someone to do it for you, the going rate is 50-100 bucks. Keep in mind that if you're not extremely careful and sometimes even if you are, the paint will crack. You'll need to use a heatgun to make the paint more flexable, but it may still crack.

Besides that, there's no way that a fender roller will open things up enough. You'll also need a fender pull. This requires actually pulling the fenders outward, probably with a machine of some sort or a ghetto rigged tow strap or hydraulic jack.

Even then, you'll need to run a narrower tire than the rim is capable of safely holding. This is called stretching your tires and basically makes your car next to undrivable as you'll be riding on the sidewalls. The slightest bump or pothole will more than likely bend your rim and/or destroy the tire. While I'll admit, that stretched tires look really cool, I have to say that it's rather unsafe and unpractical.

Now before you get mad at me for being a nay sayer, I'll go ahead and say that it can be done if you want to spend alot of money and do extensive work to your car even though it'll kill performance since you won't be able to drive it as if it had properly fitted wheels and tires. And before you question my knowledge, I'll say that I speak from experience as I've ran 5 series wheels on my Ti in the past. My wheels were 17x8 et20 style 42's off of an e39. There's photo's in my gallery and they looked amazing. The widest tire that I could fit was a 215/40/17 which was slightly stretched on the 17x8 wheel.

Even with the fenders extensively rolled, they still rubbed over bumps and on takeoffs. It wasn't until I grinded down my rear bumper and beat my fenders out with a sledgehammer that I was even able to drive the car on lowered suspension.

Now, you're considering putting a wheel on your car that is has over a centimeter lower offset, 12mm to be exact. It's also an inch wider than my style 42's. Someone mentioned something about a 195 tire, and I don't even think a 195 would stretch across the rim from bead to bead if it were totally flattened out. Maybe a 205, but you're still going to be riding on sidewall while turning.

Anything short of going widebody, you're gonna have rubbing issues. Besides all that, the tires are going to stick out almost 2 inches. It might look really cool or it might look really funny, IDK. If you still want to go through with it, you got my blessing, but you absolutely have to post pics!!! Good luck and best wishes.

Edit; sorry for the long post.