Thread: all years Euro glass headlights
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 09:27 PM   #212
paul somlo

I'll answer the above post, now that I've taken apart the lights and understand how they work. This is specific to my Bosch projectors, but I suspect the ZKW may be similar.

The leveling motors need to be installed, as they form the lower pivot point for the entire reflector assembly - without the motor, the other two adjustments will not work properly. The ball on the end of the leveling motor actuator fits into a channel with a circular cross section near the bottom of the reflector assembly. The leveling motor needs to be fully extended, while the reflector assembly needs to be fully retracted to engage the ball in the channel. This will prove to be helpful if you remove your leveling motor. When installed in this fashion, nothing more need be done with the leveling motor - all adjustment takes place using the two adjusters on the case of the headlight assembly.

The adjuster closest to the center of the headlight is responsible for cutoff height, while the other adjuster is responsible for lateral movement. Turning the female hex (6mm) adjusters clockwise, either lowers the cutoff, or moves the beam laterally towards the center of the vehicle. Internally, the adjuster consists of a fine pitch metal screw threaded into plastic. Go too far CW, and you lose engagement - you may have to open up the case to reengage the screw and the plastic. Go too far CCW, and you run the risk of stripping the plastic threads - you'll feel it bottom out, don't force it past this point.

By the way, the adjusters where the headlights mount on the vehicle - those are not meant for beam adjustment; they're only responsible for cosmetics; that is, how the headlight sits with regard to the hood and nosepiece.
paul somlo is offline   Reply With Quote