View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 07:01 AM   #2
Mongwit

Vehicles

Your choices span a wide spectrum! My parents love their Outback but I find it to be ponderous and disconnected on the road. If your taste is for precise handling, the Outback may disappoint. The Outback is in its element when it’s on a snowy highway on a ski day. A friend of mine had trouble with his WRX clutch and heard from a shop that Subaru clutches are not be the most robust – though one person’s experience isn’t too telling.

Last year I sold my E46 and still regret the decision. I bought the car through European Delivery and put almost 250,000 miles on. Overall, it was an excellent, dependable car that gave me little trouble. However, the window regulators were terrible and the plastic clips that secure the sunroof shade broke every few years. I had the coolant expansion tank replaced preemptively but never experienced the cooling system problems for which the E46 is infamous. Fixing the sunroof wasn’t a terribly difficult task and brake/rotor replacements weren’t bad. The ti is my first E36, so I can’t compare the relative ease of working on either – though the ti sure has a lot more room in the engine bay! The only thing that would give me pause with the E46 you’re looking at is the complication of the AWD.

I don’t have any experience with the X3 aside from my E82 having (I believe) the same engine. The X3 is based on the E90, right? If so, expect a reliable car but complicated electronics and a design that seems to say, “don’t trouble yourself – take this to a qualified technician for service”. I’m disappointed that the E82 even requires a trip to the dealership to “initialize” a new battery. But X3 with a manual sounds like a rare and compelling choice!

Hard choice – but I think you need another ti!
Mongwit is offline   Reply With Quote