Thread: misfire at idle
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
Gabor

Default misfire at idle

Perhaps this is not the best place to post this, but having browsed through the Garage I am ready to given up.

I have a 1997 318ti with 167K one the odometer. Overall, it is the best car that I have owned. I do hope that it will last me a bit longer, as another car is not in the budget anytime soon. I am not the original owner – I have had it for 12 years and 150K miles.

Issue 1. I have had a significant oil leak that started about 3 months ago. Since then, I have been keeping a close eye on the oil. The car leaves oil wherever it goes. I think it is the seal between the oil filter housing and the block, and or the one way valve that leads oil up to the oil filter housing. The leak started very suddenly. It appears to be coming from the front of the block. (Yes, I have been changing my oil & filter for a while. I know about the o-rings on the oil filter cap. The cap is dry, and I torque it down to the correct spec whenever I change the filter.)

Issue 2. This just started. I have a severe misfire. It idles at about 500 rpms, but had no problem accelerating. I have to press on the gas a bit before letting out the clutch or it will stall. The check engine light just lit and when I hooked a computer on it, the screen read a total of five messages. These were; P0300 MOD$12 1/5 random multiple cylinder misfire detected, and then P0301 for cylinder 1, P0303 for cylinder 3, P0302 for cylinder 2 and P0304 for cylinder 4. You get the idea.

Please understand that I have been trying to maintain my car to the best of my abilities. If not for just having spent a grand on a new catalytic converter and oxygen sensors, I would take it down to the local BMW shop. I have the Bentley manual, and don’t really know where to begin. Experience wise, I have replaced the crank angle sensor and done my brakes. I am a former M-1 tanker, so I don’t mind rolling up my sleeves and taking things apart – provided I have a digital camera and the Bentley manual at hand.

The most serious problem is issue 2. I don’t even know where to begin. The computer unit I have been using to read the codes can also record them. Can anyone suggest some ideas as to where to start?

Thank you!

Gabor
Gabor is offline   Reply With Quote