View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 12:23 AM   #45
john318isau

I finally received a new cam sensor. I bought a cheap Chinese made one because I couldn't bring myself to buy an OEM one knowing there was a good chance I would destroy it.

I thought I would test it first, using the Pelican Parts suggested test procedure, and it gave no reading at all, just like the other sensors.

I lost hope that the new sensor would fix the problem at this point, but, amazingly, the cam error code has gone, and I have now driven over 100km without any problems.

I am not sure what to put the problem down to, but it was either:

The two other second hand cam sensors I bought were both faulty, as well as the one that was in the car

OR

The short circuit in the ECU was damaging cam sensors (but it's been like that since I bought the car years ago)

The O2 sensor heater fault code I have had since I bought the car is gone now too, and this was definitely due to the ECU fault although I did replace the O2 sensor as well).

So, has anyone had any success in bench testing these sensors?

Anyway, I hope it continues to run well and that the problem is solved. I don't think concluding this thread is likely to be of much help to other people as the soldering problems on my ECU are probably unique, but one thing that can be learned from my experience is that you should trust your fault codes: I wasted time and money looking for fuel issues (so did my mechanic) when I should have concentrated on finding the cause of the cam sensor error code all along.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Last edited by john318isau; 06-09-2017 at 12:27 AM.
john318isau is offline   Reply With Quote