View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
Laxpunk2006

Default Alternator Upgrade

After upgrading the speaker system to MBQuart components, JL 300/4 amp, 10w7v2 powered by a JL 500/1v2 I noticed some dimming from my lights when the volume was up.

Yesterday while driving from Florida to Savannah my battery light came on. Shortly after I lost all power and was left on the side of the road. I'm still doing some diagnostics (everything is closed Sunday in Savannah) but I'm fairly certain my alternator finally bit the dust. My car is a 1995 with 167xxx miles so it's to be expected at this point.

While I'm forced to rip this alternator out and replace it I'd like to upgrade the unit. I've seen a lot of e36ers upgrade from the 80amp alternator to the 140. It seems the main issue when performing this swap is sticking with the same brand (Valeo, Bosch) to prevent the need to replace the pulley as well.

My question is if a 140amp alternator form another e36 is compatible with the m42 engine found in my 318ti or are they only compatible with the inline six engines found on the rest of the e36s.
Laxpunk2006 is offline   Reply With Quote