View Single Post
Old 02-23-2012, 06:48 PM   #32
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop540iT View Post
OK, but is the E46 328 caliper an upgrade over the stock ti caliper? The reason I ask is in the notes of the very first post in this thread it states "The thickness of the rotor is the same for the 286mm and the 300mm as well as the breaking surface." So that makes it sound to me that by simply moving to a slightly larger rotor, I'm not gaining anything.

Trust me, if I can upgrade the front brakes and not spend $1,800 by going to a big brake kit, I'm all for it!
The calipers on the E36 325/328 are the same on the calipers on the E46 325/328 so there is no upgrade to the caliper itself. That does not mean the 300mm upgrade is not an upgrade... in the most basic terms BMW would not have bothered if it was not an improvement. To be a little more technical you are increasing the size of the friction surface, this allows for better cooling which limits brake fade.

That said, the 300mm brake upgrade is the cheapest possible upgrade you can do for your 286mm brakes so you will not find much difference, especially in daily driving.

I have been through 3 brake upgrades on my E46 wagon and each one cost more than the last but each one worked far better than the last. I'm currently running a Porsche/Brembo set up and it is amazing. I will be running the same set up on my S50ti.

SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

www.BimmerBum.com ALL NEW!
318ti Specific Parts For Sale
www.facebook.com/BimmerBum

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote