View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
xxxJohnBoyxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmiko View Post
Thanks for the reply! So I understood that the M47 crank still needs some work done to install, that's ok and thank you for the info! Also, I got my hands on an M44 block (with internals) and head. Would it be possible to swap an M44 head on an M42 block? What modifications need to be done and are there any gains? I've also read, that people use M44 rods with shaved (2.5mm) M44 pistonheads, to gain an approx 1996cc displacement, could that be true?
M44 head is a exact fit on the M42 block, There are advantages and dis-advantages. M42 head does not use rocker arms (I think) which is a plus by lightning the valve train. M42 head also uses larger head studs. M44 head uses the cam sensor so it can use full OBD-II function of the DME, M44 head can accept M3 head bolts which need to be shaved a little so they don't bottom out in the block before reaching full torque spec.

I have heard of shaving piston tops but my concern is that would take the top ring closer to the combustion chamber and cause heat issues on the ring and crown of the piston especially on a turbo motor.

If you are going turbo in the future you need the rings as low as possible on the piston to help remove heat created by FI and the additional power it makes.
xxxJohnBoyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote