View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
DigitalNY

Default ID Oil Leak, '95 318ti M42 (Pic Heavy)

Hey Guys,

Could use some help identifying the oil leak on my Ti. From the top side of the engine it's almost not noticeable. There's no leak at the oil housing gasket that I can see. There is a very minor weepage at two of the valve cover bolt seals (far rear bolts on the drivers side of the valve cover).

The leak that has me a bit worried and mildly annoyed is on the lower half of the engine. It is enough of a leak that I lose 1.5 to 2 qt of oil over the interval of an oil change. When I hit a bump while driving which jars the vehicle oil will come loose from the engine and be blown back by the fan onto the hot exhaust and cause a hot oil smell.

Front lower half of the engine:

Closer up pic of the area:

The power steering fluid reservoir does leak a bit and I was already planning on replacing the lines and reservoir. I'd like to get this oil leak fixed as well but I have the suspicion that I'm not going to be able to get at the offending seal / gasket. Can anyone here tell where the leak would actually be and how much I'd be looking at for a repair?

It's already obvious that the previous owner didn't really care about finding correct parts for this vehicle. If you look to the left of the main pulley in the second pic you'll notice he apparently didn't have the correct length bolt so he slipped a socket over the threads of a bolt that was too long and used it anyway.

Thanks,

Ric
DigitalNY is offline   Reply With Quote