Thread: P/S Pump Delete
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
BimmerBum

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr View Post
I won't be putting an I6 in it.

Hey, to each their own. Figure with the goal weight I have in mind, this change could actually amount to about 0.5% weight balance improvement.

Is "5lb" an accurate measurement or an estimate?

The P/S system on my EVO is 13 pounds. That car was built to be fairly light...
It makes a little more sense if you are not doing the standard I6 twin cam swap but I would leave the electric pump in the engine bay, keeping the lines and fluid to a minimum.

My 'less than 5 lbs' statement was a guess but an educated one, I have handled my fair share of power steering pumps for 318's and BMW's in general. The pump on the ti is tiny and I would be surprised if it weighed 4 lbs.

I see your set up adding weight and the .5% weight balance improvement not happening as you will be adding weight almost the entire length of the wheelbase. A balance improvement that minimal is easily achieved with a set of coil overs and a corner balance.

Not trying to be down on your idea... I actually really like the idea of the electric pump, just not the placement you are thinking of.

The pump is almost removed from my Club Sport and I don't mind weighing it for you. How much does the electric pump weigh? How much does a foot of line weigh? How many additional feet will you need? How much more fluid that stock will your system hold? What's the weight of the additional fluid? The answers to these questions will tell you where to place your pump.

SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!

www.BimmerBum.com ALL NEW!
318ti Specific Parts For Sale
www.facebook.com/BimmerBum

BMWCCA #132203
95 318ti Club Sport
98 318ti Active S50 Swap

Last edited by BimmerBum; 06-13-2012 at 06:56 AM.
BimmerBum is offline   Reply With Quote