View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
ChItalian1027

Vehicles

Quote:
Let’s say you’re driving at smoothly on 5th gear, hmm around 50ish MPH. What happens if you let go of the gas-pedal as well as the clutch pedal?
When your driving you always should not be pressing on the clutch. If you let go of the gas-pedal nothing major will happen you just slow down some.

Quote:
Let’s say you’re driving smoothly on 4th gear and you want to come to a stop at a red-light ahead. Do you simply press the clutch in, shift to neutral, and push the brake (with clutch dis-engaged)? I don’t exactly get the concept of “stopping” in stick-shift.
Yes, press the clutch in and shift to neutral and press on the brakes. You can do this while not pressing on the clutch. Neutral isn't really a gear.

Quote:
What happens if you try to stop the car ONLY using brakes?
Only using the brakes then you will come to a stop just like when your in an automatic.

Quote:
Let’s say the car is off. Can you simply just shift the gears around without harming the car? What happens if you shift the gears without the clutch-pedal pressed in? (while car is still off)
If you shift the gears while the car is off I don't think you'll harm the car. If you try to shift the car with the clutch not engaged (when your pressing the clutch pedal) you will not get it out of gear.

Quote:
Let’s say you’re going at a decently fast speed, around 5th gear. What happens if you press in the clutch-pedal and shift to neutral? Would that over-rev the car?
Nothing will happen to the car. When you press the clutch in your revs will drop to around idle, if you go into Neutral you will not over rev the engine. Neutral is a free gear that doesn't really do anything. You use it so you don't stall the car when your in gear.

Quote:
Let’s say you’re driving around 5th gear at a pretty decent speed. What would happen if you press in the clutch-pedal and suddenly shift to 3rd gear?
Would not recommend doing this. By doing this and then pressing the gas pedal you will most certainly over rev and possibly do considerable damage to the engine. But if your still pressing the clutch pedal then nothing will happen, but if you let go of it then you'll definitely do damage to the engine.

Quote:
Let’s say you go into your car, press the clutch-pedal, and turn your car ON. The parking brake is still engaged. Is it OKAY to let go of the clutch pedal? (because if the car is on, and you suddenly let go of the clutch, won’t that stall the car?)
If you start the car with the clutch then it will start. With the parking brake engaged you won't roll down a hill. Are you asking in this question if you start the car while in gear or in neutral? If you start the car in neutral with out the clutch then it will start. But if your in gear don't let go of the clutch then you will stall.

Quote:
Lets say you started the car and you’re ready to go. You press the clutch IN, and the car is in 1st gear. What happens if you simply let go of the clutch SLOWLY, without even touching the gas pedal?
If you let go of the clutch slowly while in 1st gear with out the gas pedal applied you'll stall.

Quote:
I understand “riding-the-clutch” means you’re wearing out the clutch, but I still just don’t understand the concept of it is. I want to understand what this is so I can avoid it.
Basically riding the clutch means while your still in 1st and about to start moving while you start pressing the gas pedal you start to rev and start moving while the clutch is pressed. What you want to do is once you start to moving let go of the clutch all the way. But you have to keep accelerating with out the clutch pedal engaged. By moving with gas pedal and clutch still engaged your riding the clutch and will wear it out faster. Basically lift the clutch a little bit while pressing the gas pedal and start moving release the clutch.

I hope this helps answers your questions. I would recommend driving around your neighborhood before you get onto the road. Once you get used to driving in your neighborhood slowly you can move onto the road.

WTB: HELLROT RED CLUB SPORT

95 ti sold but staying in the family.

Last edited by ChItalian1027; 09-07-2010 at 12:23 AM.
ChItalian1027 is offline   Reply With Quote