View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
wake74

Default Fan Wiring - Wiring Low Speed & High Speed Together

Luckily, this isn't a competition against my car, as it is currently kicking my behind, as every area I look has some issue that was left unfixed by the previous owner.

My car has not over-heated while I have been driving it, even on very hot days. However, I noticed while letting it run in the garage the other night that it started to spit coolant out the cap. After digging into the electrical, it was obvious that low speed was not coming on for the fan. High speed works with AC, which is probably why it never over-heated even on the hottest days. I've already done the cooling system maintenance, bled repeatedly etc. Actually when I was bleeding it in the garage is when I first got it to over-heat and spit out coolant.

After much troubleshooting, it was obvious the issue is with the low speed circuit in the fan itself (presumably the resistor), as I get voltage at the low speed wire at the fan connector when shorting the correct terminals on the two stage temp switch on the radiator.

The really frustrating thing is that I just bought this fan as a good used fan, to replace the badly cracked one that came with the car.

Long explanation to ask a simple question: Is there any harm in just rewiring the fan motor to run a single speed, when it needs to run?

Thanks!
wake74 is offline   Reply With Quote