View Single Post
Old 11-18-2023, 03:22 PM   #145
MisterM52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelos View Post
Hi! @misterm52
Very interesting thread and a wonderful effort.
A supercharger was never in my plans, but all this got me very curious.
One of my cars is a 2001 Z3 M43TU19 that I intend to keep as long as I can.
It is a super low mileage example, a sport edition, with bucket seats, lsd, the much sought after 17 inch staggered wheels etc.
Only problem with this is that the 118hp the engine produces is always a big disappointment on the street.
I know nothing about superchargers and probably will never understand all the involved wizardry around them, but I am very good at wrenching, I do the maintenance on all three of my cars myself and I have all the right tools to do it.
Can a guy like me buy the kit and plug it to the car without having to know in detail why he is doing so and have a working kit in the end?
I understand that the kit contains all the basic parts and maybe an intercooler is needed in warm climates.
I also understand that for low hp lets say 170 no further tuning is needed other that fiddling with a pressure regulator, so probably an after market or one from a M54 (3.5 psi) can do the trick.
Am I walking on thin air here or what I say is correct?
Ideally I would like to install the kit with a basic used supercharger from a Mini or similar, throw in a regulator and take the car for a tune on a dyno, using a co2 and gas analysis tool. Am I too naive?
Thanks for the input.
Lelos.
Hello @Lelos,

Glad you appreciate the effort. Well there is always new things to learn, the M43 is one of the old reliable engines, had one myself back in the day. There is a wealth of information online, on these forums as well as on our website (hydemotorworks) and you can get started on these systems.

There is an installation guide as well, So if you are good are using wrenches, you can do it, it just takes time and we are here to help during the installation if required, as usual.

here is a build based on the small kit someone posted: http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...686#post393686

The kit does contain all the hardware you require to get the supercharger mounted, bolted up with the correct belt. Also comes with inlet and outlet manifolds for the supercharger as well as for the throttlebody of the engine itself.

As for the fuel pressure regulator, you want, a rising rate fuel pressure regulator, so you can up the pressure with the boost, and also get a wideband sensor so you can adjust the air fuel ratio. The old school way of tuning for low boost applications.

If you want to install the supercharger from a mini (thats an M45) get instead the WMD45 kit when its finally in stock next month. That uses the Eaton M45 (but from the Mercedes, not the mini).

Hope that helps and feel free to drop a line. Have a great weekend now!
MisterM52 is offline   Reply With Quote