View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 10:28 PM   #88
Hwy1Strat

Talking

OK! As promised, Photos of the finished product!!!

I can e-mail out higher resolution photos. I also put higher resolution photos in my album.

In general it was an easy project. Hardest part was getting the headliner out of the car. Contrary to popular belief, it was easiest to remove the headliner out of the passenger door and not the hatch. The reason is that the hatch opening is too narrow and the headliner backer is extremely brittle and thin fiberglass.

Tips!

1) Scrub scrub scrub with a stiff brush (not wire!!) with denatured alcohol to get the old adhesive off. You need to have a clean, dry surface.

2) Get a bunch of cheap plastic drop cloths. The spray adhesive goes everywhere.

3) Tap off whatever you don't want adhesive on with Blue Painters tape.

4) Do the main headliner in 3 sections. I centered the tweed fabric where I wanted it and rolled back the rear section. Cover the other areas with plastic and tape. Spray both sides (the headliner backer and fabric back) and wait a full 2 min.

5) Work in the shade when using the adhesive. You don't want it to set up too fast!!

6) Use long cardboard strips to keep the fabric from touching until it is in position and lined up. Slide them out one at a time as you press the material into it's final position. Once it's down its stuck!

7) When doing the valleys towards the front, get help to hold the fabric!!!!! Press the tweed into the deepest parts FIRST! then smooth it out from there.

8) Use a hair dryer on HI to help smooth out the valleys.

9) Cut large allowances of over lap. Don't skimp as you won't really know how much it takes to wrap a 3D object with a 2D fabric. Once wrapped, make relief cuts at the radius edges and fold / wrap around.

If anyone lives near the Detroit Metro area and wants their headliner fixed, drop me a line. We can work something out. At the very least I can help you out and you can buy the beer!

~Mike R~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0797.jpg Views:	649 Size:	85.5 KB ID:	9860   Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0798.jpg Views:	645 Size:	78.8 KB ID:	9861   Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0801.jpg Views:	643 Size:	70.4 KB ID:	9862  

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0802.jpg Views:	606 Size:	102.3 KB ID:	9863  

Mike R
~Hwy1Strat~
Novi, MI
1997 e36 BMW 318ti
Style 44 Wheels

"You can never own too many guitars!" (Or BMW's for that matter!")
Hwy1Strat is offline   Reply With Quote