View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #12
SNOWti
Banned

Glad I did a search before asking the same sort of question.

I'm going from 245/45/17 to 215/45/17 with M3 DSII's, so this makes me feel a little more comfortable knowing that 215/45 is a better balance in terms of keeping the OEM diameter.

245 are a bit too beefy for my Ti I see.

I'll ask here before another search and posting a fresh question:

Will 215 all around also help with rear inner tire wear? 245's were just wearing out on the inside of my rear tires, maybe too wide? Doing an alignment by the way so hopefully its not something to with worn bushing in the rear, although if I need to replace, I'll do it.

A BMW only shop owner dude looked at my 245/45/17's and said that they should be 40 because 45 confuses or gives the transmission speed thing a mis reading of speed, something along those lines, I'm a newbs, but I'm wondering if thats true or a real issue?

I'd hate for the tires being 45 affect the tranny or something else in the long run. Maybe its resulting in inaccurate mileage then as well? Sorry for my green questions. Just wanting a good balance of performance, and OEM spec adherence if I can call it that.

The mechanic doing the job is also a BMW/Porsche, etc shop, experienced and says its no difference in 45 to 40 and vice versa, its got me scratching me head a bit. Getting new tires so I sort of need to know.

Also hoping 215 on DSII's don't look too, you know, whimpy or slender... that's my ti-vanity kicking in!

Thanks!
SNOWti is offline   Reply With Quote