Thread: Project e30
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2006, 04:30 PM   #4
andyman7931

I've had 5 e30's, they're great cars, since I liked them so much I got the ti which to me is a newer e30. For a track car I'd go with a 325i(s) unless you want to do some engine work. There's no real difference in the i and is exept for suspension which you'll probably change anyway. The biggest HP we got out of an e30 was an eta m20 block with an i head, stock e pistons (lower compression) and twin turbos. We never dyno'ed it but seat of the pants feel was probably in the 270 hp range. My friend and I raced on the highway once, me in my m5, him in the turbo e30, rolling start at 50, I downshifted to 3rd while he just floored it in 5th, and he walked away from me!

I miss my e30's, but I don't miss the constant maintenance that older cars entail.

If you're going to get one to do mild engine work to, your best bet is an 88 325e. They are considered the "super eta" and have a hybrid e bottom end, custom pistons, and an i head. With an i cam and computer chip you'll have a 2.7l stroker i engine.

don't know if this helps, just throwing out some past experiences. I have tons of e30 goodies laying around if you need parts.
andyman7931 is offline   Reply With Quote