View Single Post
Old 01-11-2005, 10:34 AM   #4
Alex Lipowich

Default Other needs with the Euro 3.0 swap

Well, there are things you MUST do, and things you should do. Without a doubt, the factory TI sway bar will not work, but the stock M3 one will clear the Euro motor, and is perfect to use. These are lying around all over the place as they are often taken off M3's in an attempt to make them handle better. I would upgrade to the slightly thicker radiator. These radiators can be found on S54 Mcoupes or Z3's I'm pretty sure as a US part number to simplify things. I would also buy TMS's weld on reinforcing kit for the front subframe on ANY E36 car that runs a 6 cylinder engine....especially a transplant that uses the TI subframe which has extra perforations to accomodate the same engine mount, twisted a different way. You must use this kit or something similar.

One of the TI's running around out here has kept the original Transmission, despite what you'd think, it has not blown up. Advantage: light, its there, save money. I'd change the oil of course as a preventative measure more often. Changing the diff is always up to you as a performance mod. The responsible thing to do is to upgrade the front brakes, and there are a variety of ways to do this. Easiest I think would be junkyard front struts and spindles from an M3 with the brakes on it...... For serious track use, it is not unreasonable to get BBK of some kind. I don't have specific spring recomendations, but plenty of you guys have BTDT and could probably chime in on the rates needed for an inline 6. The S50B30 has an iron block like the US M3 3.2 had, and should be close enough weight to make it a wash.

Those are my first thoughts.
Alex Lipowich is offline   Reply With Quote