Thread: Bike Rack
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2005, 10:24 PM   #6
aceyx

sorry for the hijack everyone, but thanks for the links and info. $1000 is much cheaper in the long run, since shipping a bike costs $450 not to mention the gas for the jeep (hog).

back on topic: lampoost; do you have a link for the prealpina setup? i don't think it's easy to find in the states (assuming that's where jim is).

i have the thule rack, since yakima doesn't make feet for the ti (although you could possibly mix a sedan and coupe set) and the saris stuff really didn't look beefy enough. factory rack was $$ and had no load capacity.

i'm happy with my setup. off the top of my head i have 40" bars, aero feet, 225 (?) mounting kit and fairing. with a 20% discount at my local shop, i believe i got it for under $200.

i use it mainly for carrying skis/snowboards, and as a place to mount aux flood lights and a cb antenna. i have used both the thule and rocky mounts bike racks, and had no problems with them.

if you do use a roof carrier, drive like you have a bike on top all the time, otherwise you will forget. my friend forgot while driving his jetta, and went through a parking garage! i also snapped a 4' antenna, but they're only $20 to replace and didn't dent my roof.

i also have one of those adjustable y-looking bike racks if i don't feel like throwing on the thule (it's loud, and i usually ride to spots nowadays) and my bike can fold up and fit in the back as long as it's clean.

if you buy the entire setup locally, you can probably negotiate a deal similar to what you'd get off ebay. if you do end up getting the thule kit, i would go for the yakima fairing, or send me a PM to see what i did to the bumper strip (it will scratch your glass and paint otherwise).
aceyx is offline   Reply With Quote