View Single Post
Old 03-05-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
318tian

im thinking it would be cheaper than you may think. i would have to use a 95 because of ews and since traction control would have to be disabled i dont really care what year it is. i 95 ti without an engine or transmission is less than $1000. ive been watching craigslist and ive seen one go for $300 and one for $600. the rb26 complete engine is $3,500. i heard the e30 325ix has a more narrow track(idk what that means. wheels closer together? help!) and on the e46 325xi (and all the other e46s i supose) the wheels are farther apart. i may just look into the r33 or r34 front half of the awd system and find out if the distance between the wheels is anywhere near the same (btw ive been talking about the distance between left and right wheels not front and back). fabricating motor and tranny mounts is doable but i dont want to try and custom make front axles because of the fact that they must be really durable and precise. maybe i will get lucky and find some that almost fit. usually front axles have an end that is vertically groved or w/e and the other end has a metal plate that bolts up. in that case i could cut the plate down to be really small and get the one i need and weld them together (not sure if it would be bmw axle w/ nissan plate vice versa). also the rear drive shaft would have to be modified but that can be done in the same way i just explained on the front for the plate that mounts to the rear diff. im thinking for $5000-$6000 i could have it working although ide want to upgrade shocks/brakes and get a rear lsd diff with the same ratio as the one already on the rb26 engine. great thing about being able to push 1000+ hp on an awd is that you get the quick take off and have the power to not get blown away in the end. if i go through with it a will most definutly take pics and start a thread about it.
318tian is offline   Reply With Quote