View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 07:55 PM   #6
Johjamkep

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexspeedtech View Post
I bought my '98 from Minnesota back in January and drove it all the way to California with serious snow most of the way. It was riding on Blizzaks, and I'm very impressed with how well it performed.

I've done traction control development for Dinan Motorsports, and typically find street car systems very intrusive. Not having to deal with emissions, I've used ignition or fuel cuts for torque reduction, as the throttle actuator isn't as accurate. However, since that drive, I've actually spoken to some of my old colleagues about this system and why we feel like it performs so well. In the end, its lack of sophistication is its genius - its not using an accelerometer, yaw-sensor or steering position sensor to predict intended drive path, which ends up making it feel much more natural.

Combined with the diff control, its just too good for me to want to get rid of it all the time. Instead, I think it would be interesting to build a little arduino kit to reverse the logic so its by default off when you start the car, and on when you need it. It would be simple to use a small switching relay to change the cluster logic so the light came on only when TC was on instead of off.

I had a quick look at the wiring diagram, and this is relatively easy - and wouldn't cost too much. The indicator light is a simple low-side drive, and the switch signal is a momentary 12V, so this could all be done right at the ASC module.

I'd have to figure out the Ardunio so that it automatically sends a momentary high-signal when the car is started, but that's easy as the ASC module has inputs that are hot in run/start only. Maybe I'll give this a shot over the new few months and let you all know how it goes.

Cheers,

Neel

I had this same thought this morning, minus the immediate technical know-how. I don’t know what an arduino is but a slightly delayed voltage signal tapped into the switch could do it. If you are willing to pursue it, please let me know and feel free to message me here or email at john.k@mikejohnsimports.com. Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johjamkep is offline   Reply With Quote