View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
osu_ti

I wish I would have seen this sooner, but hopefully it will help someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR View Post
how well does a stock 318 compete in G stock?
With the mini cooper s no longer in the class, the chances are significantly better. However, the STR-4 Neon is in GS and would be tough to beat. A fellow in the Cincinnati region SCCA campaigned a 95 clubsport 318ti in GS for several years with good sucess, even nationally.

Quote:
what are good autocross alignment settings?
Gimp is correct that you want as much camber as you can get. The aforementioned guy from Cincy informed me of a replacement bolt for the struts that is stock class legal that will give a bit more camber.

I run 0 toe in the front as a compromise for the street. A little toe out helps turn in, but too much can ruin tires when driving for long distances.

Quote:
what is the best front rollbar to use?
Typically stiffer is better in the front. I'm running the 28mm eibach on the softer of the two settings. I'm running the matching rear eibach bar on the softest setting in the rear. I like the balance on grippier surfaces. On asphalt it doesn't rotate quite enough.

More front roll stiffnest is good up until a certain point. There's a line where the additional front roll stiffness will lead to understeer. If you do get aftermarket sway bars, make sure you check them for binding when you install them.

Quote:
what size tires are the best and what size wheels? might use hoosier a6 or kumho v710.
This question really depends on what class you intend to run. In stock, the A6 is king. The v710 is nearly as good, but lasts a good bit longer. If you are relatively new to autocross, I'd second gimp's recommendation of getting a good set of street tires (star specs, re-11's, kumho xs, falken 615's, etc). They'll last much longer and give you better feedback on your driving (the won't mask mistakes as much). They also won't get ruined as easily by driving mistakes.

For stock class, the 225/50/16 is a good inexpensive size. If you have 15x7 rims, a 205/50/15 is a popular size. Some manufacturers make a 225/45/15.

One issue I've experience with tire size is that it can significantly impact the top speed in 2nd gear. I run a relatively short tire - about 23" tall - and 2nd gear tops out at about 47mph. I routinely hit the rev limiter in 2nd on long slaloms and short straights after fast corners. Needing to shift to 3rd happens on occasion. A taller 25" tire, like the 225/50/16, would help quite a bit in that regard.