View Single Post
Old 10-20-2017, 03:54 PM   #62
Ivan

Vehicles

Oh yey this is exactly a thread i needed... Because i assume someone will appreciate what i have "achieved"
So im driving my 1996. 318ti wich now has 322 thousand kms for more than a year and im measuring my fuel consumption from the first day.
When i started driving it i was fueling up on some local gas station that had unimaginable ****ty fuel, what i realised it was the fuel unfortunately after two fill ups (too bad it was running on that **** for even a kilometer but i didnt know it was the fuel it was bad untill i fueled car somwhere else without even carying about that). Then i reallised that my car wasnt actually broken because it didnt want even to start every other time and i was getting fuel consumption of 11l/100kms aprox. Meanwhile i checked my emmisions, lambda, everything i could think of because i didnt know how could use so much fuel if its not spitting it since im driving it prety gently.
And then i started driving on actual fuel and got some actual fuel consumption readings wich im really happy to share with you. First of all i drive my car prety gently (If you wonder why, its driving style i like). Since im not driving on highway i dont go faster than 80-85km/h (50mph).
I have never done a full tank of city driving so i cant provide you with that information.
Highest reading i got was combined kind of city driving in the winter when i calculated 8.5l/100 kms (33mpg - since most of you are probably using imperial units i will convert for you since im from europe)
Usual combined driving in the winter i was getting 7.9-8.4l/100km (36-34mpg)
Driving in the summer got me significantly lower fuel consumption and i got calculations of 7-7.6l/100km (40-37mpg) sometimes running AC pretty much all the time on combined driving conditions.
Lately im driving 90-95km (in both directions) trip (60mi) and i was surprised when i saw how many kms im getting even before my fuel light came on. I have prety much open road (wich i do my favourite speed of 50mph on) and drive about 10kms of that trip in pure city driving (wich is not much more than 10% of that trip) In that 90sth kms trip i have two cold starts because engine cools down completly from sitting half a day.
I averaged 5.6l/100km (50mpg). That was average on my first fuel tank when i started driving there and i will update when i calculate avg for second tank to verify that first calculation.
Im prety happy with my fuel consumption but im also interested what numbers i could achieve with some significantly more economical cars like vw up 60 hp version for example.
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote