View Single Post
Old 01-23-2006, 03:42 AM   #3
atlanta318ti

I've got the same problem now. Just came on tonight as soon as I started the car. Both AST and ABS are on. 1997 Sport 125k.

For the last couple of weeks, I've noticed that it sounds like I may have a tire out of balance or the first hint of a bad wheel bearing. I can't yet feel it in the handling, but when rolling at 15-20 mph w/radio off, etc... you can hear that wo-wo, wo-wo, wo-wo (for lack of a better description). The last owner put the brakes on, but I don't know if they replaced the OEM rotors w/some cheap non-balanced rotors and that's what I'm hearing or even if it's a sympton of a worn out strut.

Anyway, on the ABS/AST fault light, Bentley suggests to check all the sensors first, but I'm wondering if that out of balance tire or wheel bearing may already have damaged the "teeth" on the "toothed wheel on the wheel hub" even though its not yet very noticable. I've not pulled the sensor yet, so I have no idea what to look for and I don't want to blindly replace all four at $100 each. Has anyone done this?

I normally DIY on this stuff. However, since I'm fearful that one problem may have caused another, I'm thinking about taking it to my local BMW shop (not dealer) rather than end up replacing something that may be fine and missing the actual problem. Plus these darn sensors are $100 a piece, and if I do have a front wheel bearing problem those are supposed to be a real PITA. Any thoughts on you guys that have a heck of a lot more experience than me?
atlanta318ti is offline   Reply With Quote