View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 05:57 PM   #48
spidertri

Vehicles

This past week I've had the car down to install the M50 manifold.

It went fairly smoothly but definitely took longer than I expected. I purchased the manifold and eurosport install kit used and while it's a very nice kit I think I would have preferred the m50manifold.com kit because it keeps the CCV and ICV up in their normal locations.

Since the eurosport kit is the same as the Turner Motorsport kit, I followed Turner's install guide which was fairly basic but helped to provide a checklist to follow. I went beyond the guide and trimmed several brackets and the fuel rail to ensure that things fit the M50 manifold properly.

On the manifold itself, I drilled a hole in the web of the rear runners to allow both O2 sensor connectors to pass through. This allowed those wire to route more naturally than trying to get both through the port in the rear most web.

Several cuts were made to the bracket that holds the CCV and ICV. There was a tab that hung down below the CCV that ended up contacting the hard coolant pipe that goes towards the frame rail. I removed that tab to provide plenty of clearance to the coolant pipe. I also notched out the corner of the bracket so that I could get an allen wrench on the front support bracket mount. This made it much easier to install the manifold because I could then leave the bolt loose while I test fit/connected everything.

The last bracket I changed was the forward manifold support bracket. I cut a section out that goes around the CCV so that the bracket could align correctly between the block mount and manifold.

Other than that I followed the guide and had to tweak the fuel hard pipes slightly, bend the starter wire, bend up the O2 tab, and shave down the bosses on the manifold.

I also used this opportunity to replace the crank sensor, clean the ICV, and clean the CCV. I had a ton of nasty yellow snot in the CCV. Unfortunately, in the winter I usually drive the car to work and back so it doesn't get nice long runs to get all the temps up for extended periods of time. I plan to install a catch can between the valve cover and CCV and take it out for extended drives to try and keep that clean.

Next up is prepping for the S52 cams I picked up. I managed to find a set with trays and lifters so I'm going to check and clean the dirty lifters and replace the valve springs/seats with the S52 parts. Once the car comes down for that stuff I'll be sending the DME out for a retune.

98 328ti Morea Grun slicktop
11 128i space gray slicktop
13 JGC WK2 Deep Cherry

Search | RealOEM
spidertri is offline   Reply With Quote