View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 08:13 PM   #4
anassa

Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endat View Post
An LS1? Yeah, that's what I need.. a 500lb hunk of **** that produces 47hp per litre and gets 8mpg

Cool. It's mainly for interstate travel so I'm not really worried about it being quick as much as low rpm cruising. Going with the M52 because of its cost and availability. Doesn't make sense putting a $2,500 S52 into a $500 car.
Well its good you got your answer. You are correct in saying the m52 is more available and is a good budget swap, it can also net you decent mpg with a 2.93 - if your driving mostly freeway. I know a member on the forum got 33mpg when only driving freeway with a S52 and a 2.93. So good luck!

Okay I can't help it I gotta say something. Your comment about the LS1 completely missed the point. Your first post you mentioned about reaching 45MPH in 1st gear. That is all the 3.2l (S52) then LS1 comment pointed toward, the "500lb hunk of **** that produces 47hp per litre and gets 8mpg" is a completely pointless comment. Long gears usually mean you have more torque to keep the car going at lower rpms since you will be in those lower rpms more often - thus the 3.2 (s52) or LS1 - comment - 3.2 - obviously more torque. LS1 was tongue in cheek for reaching 45MPH in 1st gear.

47hp per litre - LS1 can easily produce very good numbers N/A, also higher hp per litre usually means higher rpms = shorter gears = not what your looking for. Besides the 2.8l m52 also isn't known for hp per litre..

8mpg - look at the e36 guys that have swapped the LS1, get anywhere from 12mpg - 24mpg or even higher depending on mods/rear end ratio/ wheels & tires etc.

500lb - go take a look at how much a iron block m52 weighs .. . its not exactly light weight, also if you compare displacement and power output for its weight LS1 will destroy the m52.

Done ranting sorry!

***328ti Build thread. ***

Even more important:
SUPPORT 318ti.org! CLICK THE LINK ABOVE!
Hosting a forum like this is not free. 318ti.org is one of the best BMW forums on the web because it is member supported, not vendor supported. The cost to become a Supporter is a nominal $10.00... A YEAR! DO IT! NOW!
anassa is offline   Reply With Quote