View Single Post
Old 07-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
cooljess76
NOBODY F's with the Jesus

It sounds like the slave cylinder isn't long enough to move the clutch release fork lever far enough to engage the clutch. Or maybe the throwout bearing is different for the M3 clutch. Basically the slave cylinder pushes the fork which slides the throwout bearing against the pressure plate which in turn releases the clutch plate. It's possible that the ZF tranny has a deeper bellhousing or perhaps the fork is further back than the Getrag trannys used with the m44 and m50 motors. I'd suggest if you're going to use an M3 clutch to use an M3 throwout bearing and slave cylinder.

Edit; I misread your post. It sounds like the slave cylinder is too long, or maybe the throwout bearing is either sticking or not seated properly. It's supposed to be recessed in the clutch release fork lever. Are you sure that the clutch release fork lever is seated properly and clipped into place? You might be able to see in there if you remove the slave cylinder and use a flashlight and inspection mirror.

I read on a different forum about some guy who installed the clutch disc on backwards. If that was the case, the clutch wouldn't disengage. The clutch disc has a splined center. The spline protrudes out further on one side of the disc. The side with the longer part of the center spline faces the engine. In your case, I would eliminate this possibility as you would have the opposite situation and wouldn't be able to shift as it would remain engaged.